Conundrum II - Goal Setting
Aim high, so that even if you hit lower, you get what you
would've aimed earlier...
OR
Aim low and work harder, so that if you don't achieve what
you secretly desire, you don't feel depressed...
Just like the confusion around accepting
universe's sign or fighting against it, this is another conundrum that has
jolted my life for many years..
The problem is, I always
think about "what if I fail ?"...
I've always feared
failure...
And now it is tough not
to..
I have always looked up
to my father, a man who seemed to be perfect, a man who always took calculated
steps, and always did what he meant to do...
In order to become that
perfect man, I started undermining my goals, all I knew was to get success, so
low goal setting was a thing right from my childhood...
I always aimed low,
although "wished" secretly to get higher...
The problem with
"wishing" is that you often leave it up to the universe....
And that is why I always
kept my efforts limited to the low goals I set...
I never aspired to be the
topper... Coz I feared that what if I try to become one, put in all the efforts
and then don't come up first in class?
So, I aimed at learning
in class and that was great coz I answered questions beamed at the class more
than the toppers, I was the one who had curious questions, and perfect answers
to the teacher's questions....
I was good at
'understanding' things, and once you have understood a thing, the only thing
that holds you back from getting 100 percentiles remembering them, which can
be easily achieved by practicing...
It is a cake walk to
learn things that you already understand.
But there I was, aiming
low, to avoid failing my goal.
I never practiced, even
during exams, I studied lesser than what one should...
I focused more on playing
and fooling around during my exams, even now, during my BTech, I did the
same...
Even my parents never
forced me to study, they knew I was understanding things well, and they were
satisfied...
They believed in learning
more than scoring...
So I was a happy soul...
Achieving what I've been aiming for...
In spite of under
preparation and low goal setting, I always managed to be in top 5 in high
school and always scored more than 85% in later classes...
So I was a happy soul...
Achieving more than what I've been aiming for.
I had my own philosophies
like “not setting a life goal”, as I feared failing, I never created a
profession as my goal.
Whenever I was asked this
heavy question of “What do you want to become when you grow up” by elders
trying to do the usual small talk with kids, I presented my theory instead of a
single expected occupation.
I used to say, “I don’t
want to set a goal, coz I don’t know the world yet… And I don’t want myself to
get depressed at a later age when I lead a different life than what I dreamt
for my whole childhood. Money or fame wouldn’t matter at that stage, the only
thing that would matter would be not leading the life that I dreamt about. So,
to avoid bounding myself by immature goal setting and to avoid repentance at a
later stage, I don’t have a goal!”. Don’t know if they ever repent about
setting a goal early in their life after listening to my theory, but pretty
sure they must’ve regretted initiating this small talk with me.
To be honest, I still
don’t regret living by this theory of mine, even now, I don’t dream of big
goals, I still believe in taking one small step at a time looking up towards
few of the upcoming steps ahead.
Now, this attitude of
mine, fearing failure and staying happy by setting and achieving low goals, was
recently challenged while I was reading “10x rule”. It stated, that to achieve
something, Aim 10 times higher and to achieve the high set goal, put in 10
times of effort.
This got, me thinking….
What if instead of underestimating myself and capping my goals, I actually aimed higher?
What if instead of underestimating myself and capping my goals, I actually aimed higher?
What if I actually tried
to achieve something which was above my comfort zone, which actually required
putting in effort?
I always thought I was
afraid failing but reanalyzing it honestly revealed that the root cause was my
laziness, my fear for working hard…..
I remembering saying it to my dad, “why should I do it? If there is no sure shot at getting a result, I should better not waste my efforts on it…”. Whenever I didn’t try, I made it sound like a smart analysis, and that I am saving time and efforts. But actually, saving myself from leaving my comfort zone.
I remembering saying it to my dad, “why should I do it? If there is no sure shot at getting a result, I should better not waste my efforts on it…”. Whenever I didn’t try, I made it sound like a smart analysis, and that I am saving time and efforts. But actually, saving myself from leaving my comfort zone.
Now, that I have realized
the root cause being my laziness, I am willing to work hard and even set high
goals to actually achieve them.
But the conundrum still
persists, should I aim low and secretly “put in efforts” for a higher goal, or
Should I aim higher than
what I want so that at least achieve what I wish for?
Which path do you follow?
Whichever path you
choose, never let the fear of putting in efforts get better of you and your
goal setting.



Astonished I m ....
ReplyDeleteBeing mature hmmm...
:)
Delete